When living as maximalist hoarder, I used to buy all variety of products - from cheap post-it notes to python luxury brand bags. And because I did not know what I really want or enjoy, I ended up cluttering my life in a big way. I owned bits of everything that has accumulated from my middle school years to 5 years of career. It was only after I discovered minimalism when I started to get clear idea of how I want to live my life. I was finally able to filter out the things I don’t need to buy.
5. Different perfumes - Once I found my signature scent, there’s no point to own more than one perfume
6. Cosmetics with potentially dangerous ingredients (pretty much 90% of the mass cosmetics)
7. All different colors of pens that exist in the life
8. Excessive Groceries that I would not be able to consume within a week
9. Dishes and cups more than 4 sets
10. Just in case products - Duplicate products I kept just in case I lose the other one (learnt that it’s not really easy to lose anything when you have only one for each function and at always in the same place
11. Home Decor products - After few experience, learnt I prefer empty space over any cute / chic / beautiful interior products that does not really serve any functional purpose
12. Cute gifts for friends - Instead try to get what they want or something they can consume
13. Uncomfortable underwear - I realized I only keep picking up the same style comfortable underwear instead of uncomfortable nice ones.
14. Crazy colored nail polish - Just like owning signature perfume, I try to limit my nail colors to few of my favorites which can show my style the best which includes dark red, black, nude or no nail polish at all
15. Diaries - Used to go crazy over diaries, buying more than one per year. Through times, it just became really old and lame. I digitized all my previous diaries for memory, but have to admit, I never reopen the file to read it again
16. USBs and other physical data storage - Google Drive has revolutionized my life
Now that I think about it, I cannot believe how I cluttered my life and waste precious money on these unnecessary stuff.
But it’s never too late. I can now put my energy into better use.
What are the things that you cut out of your everyday buy?